Our professionals bring solutions to complicated business problems through proven expertise, unique insight and complete integrity. Lantern uses our diverse experience and breadth of relationships to evaluate potential strategies, create effective solutions and improve the status quo.
Lantern believes in being an advocate for change rather than an antagonist for control. Meaningful change is best achieved through a partnership between investors and management. Change is often difficult; we focus on driving change for the greater good of the business and its customers. We believe providing a strong, well-capitalized plan will provide enduring success and profit.
Lantern’s typical investment size ranges from a minimum of $20 million to $150 million, concentrated within opportunities that have enterprise values up to $1.0 billion.
DIFFERENTIATED INVESTMENT STRATEGY
Lantern’s investment strategy is founded on our unique and long history of expertise in financial restructuring and operational turnarounds that set Lantern apart from other private equity firms.
Our differentiation is based on the following key elements:
- Firm DNA – developed through a consistent emphasis and passion for solving complex problems faced by investors and companies (since the 1990s). These skills and strategies were developed and honed initially as advisors with leading firms, while serving some of the world’s most demanding investors and clients.
- Business Problems in Need of Solutions – our competitive advantage lies in going after smaller, overlooked situations that typically require both a complex financial restructuring and an operational turnaround.
- DTC - we focus exclusively on Deep Value investments in Turnaround situations with sufficient Control in an effort to be successful in generating meaningful risk adjusted returns for our investors.
- Agnostic to Debt versus Equity or Industry – our ability to invest across the entire capital structure and remain industry agnostic is designed for us to pursue the fulcrum security with the most downside protection and upside potential across industries.
- Commitment to Middle Market Transactions – we believe the middle market (between $50 million and $1 billion of enterprise value) provides our firm the best alpha generating opportunities. Investment commitments by Lantern range between $15 million and $150 million through either debt or equity.
- Relationship Driven Deal Flow (Avoid Auctions) - we seek to utilize our brand and deep relationships with turnaround advisors and industry professionals to generate unique deal flow and avoid auctions. Lantern is known for being an advocate for change rather than an antagonist for control.
- Performance – our firm and professionals have a strong track record of superior risk adjusted financial performance for some of the world’s most demanding institutional investors. Lantern has a history of being called in to address some of the most challenging financial and operating situations.
LONG TERM PERSPECTIVE & VISION
Lantern’s experience reinforces the belief that risks and opportunities change constantly across cycles and that the best opportunities take time, making them difficult to predict. By building and maintaining a customer driven perspective, a strong team and a sustainable organization, we can leave companies better than we found them.
Lantern stresses that execution, not simply structuring and timing of a given transaction, is critical to developing and protecting asset value. Our senior management and advisors are involved throughout the investment life every project.
ESTABLISHED NETWORK OF RELATIONSHIPS
The professionals at Lantern have developed extensive relationships from decades of experience across several world-class firms and numerous industries. Our continual focus on the development and maintenance of these key relationships provides a direct and meaningful benefit to the companies in our portfolio.
STRONG ALIGNMENT OF INTEREST
Lantern is committed to remaining a value-oriented, high-service firm where senior executives' invest personal interests are aligned with investor interests in all transactions, as opposed to a manager who provides fee-for-service or asset-light services Lantern measures success by our ability to drive value for our investors, operating partners and portfolio companies.
Lantern’s professionals have experience across many industries that have undergone significant restructuring during the past 15 years.
Through Lantern Capital Partners we invest across the entire capital structure, from debt to equity, for both public and private middle-market companies. Our central principles of transparency, discipline, creative solutions, alignment of interests and risk management are the foundation of our investment strategies. Our team’s market experience, industry knowledge and resulting analytical capabilities are fundamental to our success.
Lantern is a long-term business partner that develops solutions to accommodate the varying capital and operational needs of middle-market companies. We are a deep value investor in complex situations that pursues returns largely through improved business operations. We have invested in and advised companies across a broad range of industries throughout the world.
A unified business model allows our team to seek investment opportunities where we can provide direction and influence through a combination of financial and operational expertise. Our affiliate, Lantern Operating Partners, brings together experienced managers and leaders to deliver long-term operational improvements and solutions. We have successfully executed transactions in many special situations, including:
- Corporate Carve Outs
- Operational Turnaround
- Financial Restructurings
Lantern employs a variety of credit-focused strategies to provide liquidity to businesses facing near term capitalization challenges. We are flexible in our approach and can often tailor our solutions to meet a variety of needs.
- Distressed Debt Restructuring
- Non-Performing Loans
- High Yield Bonds